Late Wednesday night, Andy and I blasted up to Jackson for some skiing in the Tetons. On Thursday we met and skied with our friends Brian Harder ("Brain"), Nate Brown ("Dutchman"), and Kim ("Crusher"). The skiing was surprisingly good. It took some effort to get to it, but what we found made that effort worth it.We skied the West Hourglass Couloir on Nez Perce and then climbed and skied the Middle Teton Glacier. The headwall of the glacier was the real treat. There we found soft consolidated powder stuck to a 50 degree slope. From the parking lot we had wondered if winter was up there. As Nate promised, after awhile the "Winter Switch" turned on.
- It was cold. Probably below zero cold. To stay warm on Nez Perce, I robbed everyone of their packs, sat on one, put the others on top of me, mooched Nate's puffy, and (to no avail) tried to get people to cuddle with me.
- There were 4 Men in Tights, one Woman in Baggie pants
- Kim impressed us all by by logging the same 8k vertical we logged, but on "heavy" gear, Havocs and Divas, thus becoming "Crusher."
- Upper East Hourglass was not skiable, but the lower part definitely was.
- No. of times Andy got pulled over by the law, 2; no. of tickets, 0
- Another great day on 64 mm waisted skis.
- 8k vert, 10 hr tour. 30 hrs door-to-door (SLC to Jackson to SLC).
|West Hourglass (angling upper right to lower left). Photo taken Feb. 2011.|
|Middle Teton Glacier and the "Notch" (distinct "V") in top third, left edge of right third) in the background.|
Photo taken Feb. 2011.
|Hiking into Garnet Canyon|
|View of the Middle Teton and the Chouinard and Ellingwood Couloirs from Nez Perce. |
The Middle Teton Glacier tops out at the top of the Ellingwood.
|Andy and Nate in the cold cold shadow with El Grande and the Middle in the background. |
|Middle Teton Glacier and the shrund.|
|Andy and Nate about to gain the "Notch."|
|Soft snow, steep slope, October.|
|Andy and Nate with the Dike Pinnacle in the background.|
|Nate skiing the Middle Teton Glacier.|
|Brain skiing the Middle Teton glacier.|
|Brian and Kim descending above the shrund.|
Post a Comment