Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday



Today began at 5:30 am this morning. Jon and I headed up to Alta to find some snow. I've lost track; I think that Alta has probably received over 500 inches of snow this year. But like I said, I lost track. There was probably close to 25 inches of new. The skin track was at least a foot deep. We thought we were early risers, but as we got out, we could see a train of headlamps up Cardiff and Flagstaff. We summitted Flagstaff in a long line -- all 17 of us. It's good there's lots of terrain. Jon and I skirted around Days bowl and skiied the east facing shots. It took a lot of time, and I kind of wish we had skiied the north facing twice instead of the east facing once. The upside is that we were able to look into Cardiff. I picked out some lines that I think are skiable. Jon thinks otherwise. The other upside is that I got some decent photos with my little point and shoot cam. I wish I would have had the SLR because the lighting was incredible. I've posted some pics below.

On our way out, I skiied a line from the top of Flagstaff straight down the gully, something that's only possible in big snow years. While it was possible, it wasn't without a price. Skiing over a rock band, the Havocs took (another) core shot. My poor skis. On our way out of the Alta parking lot, Jon and I stopped and looked at the south face of Superior. We came very close to turning around and making a run off Little Superior; however, our consciences (admittedly dulled) got the best of us, and we did the responsible thing and went to work.

Enjoy:



See the tracks?









No comments: