Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

On Blogging

I've been thinking of something Aton Krupicka said on his blog a few days ago:
Over the past couple of years I've realized that maintaining a blog isn't such a personal thing as one might first think and that it is actually a very rewarding means by which to connect with others, share, and hopefully inspire and impact the community in a positive manner.  I say it a lot, but running often feels like a very selfish activity to me, however, sharing my experiences with other interested folks via this blog and others has become an effective way to hopefully contribute and expand the impact of my running experiences beyond just my own little world.
Although I've never expressed it out loud here, I've often wondered why I blog. Once, when I was supported by one front point on a flake above an exposed cliff, I wondered whether I was taking such a risk just so I could blog about it. I almost resolved to quit blogging right then and there because blogging for that reason would be, well, dumb.

Of course, I didn't quit blogging because part of me agrees with what Krupicka says: sharing my experiences somehow makes my adventures seem a little less selfish. And doing so allows me to tap in to a community of people who share similar interests.

After all, it is because of the accounts of others who took the time and care to write about their adventures that I was and am inspired to do what I do. One of the things that I like to do is long ski traverses/linkups. Looking back, it was a combination of many things that motivated me to strive to develop the "art" of these kinds of traverses (an "art" that remains elusive). I've been skimo racing, i.e. trying to figure out how to move fast on skis, since 2003. But the thought of taking fast skiing and skimo race technique to the mountains and the backcountry really didn't occur to me until a few years ago. More specifically, the blogs and publications of Andrew McLean (Wasatch Top 10 in 10 Days), Greg Hill (accounts of his big long days), and Noah Howell (the Super Coaster) got me thinking of fast and light ski traverses/linkups. They inspired me, and for that I say, thanks!

Presently, I think it's safe to say that there are good ski and climbing blogs for most ranges in the lower 48. As I've surfed the web, looking for beta and daydreaming about places I'd like to go and traverses/linkups I'd like to do, I've stumbled across some pretty cool accounts, on blogs of course. For example, I'm heading to the Cascades later this month. Written adventure accounts posted by the Traslin brothers, Sky and skisickness.com, and the Skoogs, just to name a few, have been very useful. Thanks. As I've surfed the web, trying to learn the ins and outs of alpine climbing, I've discovered resources like Cold Thistle. Again, I say thanks.

I've found that while guidebooks point me in the general direction of where I want to go, blogs and personal accounts often fill in important details and provide inspiration. So, my conclusion for now is that while blogging is somewhat self-promoting, and a bit silly, I'm going to continue. And as I have been inspired by others' blogs, my hope is that some of my accounts here will do the same.

1 comment:

SLC sherpa said...

I think one of the best reasons to blog is to preserve your memories and feelings about your adventures. I enjoy going back and reading TRs occasionally to refresh the details after they have faded. It really is a journal as your subtitle says (and as I mostly copied)

And, I think you're right regarding the inspiration potential. A few years ago when Lars and I joined you guys on Timp, we couldn't wait to read about it on a "big time" blog. Add yours to the list that has given ideas and expanded the imagination of more than a couple people.

Self promoting? Maybe. Depends what one expects.